Infant CPR class last night was really informative. Aside from learning
how to administer resuscitation and chest compressions, we learned about
infant/child car seat safety. Did you know that the leading cause of
children deaths are automobile accidents? The second leading cause of
death is drowning. The class made us watch all these videos that scared
also learned what to do in case of choking. Personally, I NEEDED that
one! I choke all the time, most commonly on my own spit. It's really
embarrassing! But I've had some pretty scary experiences. You want an
example?...okay, pull up a chair, it's story-time. It's been a few years
since this incident, so I'm not as traumatized by it anymore, but anyhow...
Cin, Matty, and I had dinner at this new Vietnamese place by their house.
Cin ordered pork chop over rice, and I think both Matty and I ordered
a large bowl of Pho. To make a long story short, after finishing the
whole bowl (I'm talking the WHOLE bowl), I went to sip my tea. I choked
on the tiny bit of tea that was left in my glass (it went down the wrong
Since I'm embarrassing myself, I might as well tell you my other story...this one is much more recent. About a month ago, I was hanging out at Ed & Sue's. We were drinking boba tea and eating spicy chicken nuggets. Ed and I were talking, and I was drinking my drink, and one of those boba things flew to the back of my throat, and....yep, I started choking again...really bad! I covered my mouth, but still felt the food come up. Ed grabbed a bag, and I threw up into it. It was GROSS! I couldn't stop throwing up. When the passage was finally cleared, I was gasping so hard...it sounded all raspy and chunky. After I was able to breathe normally again, I noticed that my pants were wet. DAMN! I couldn't believe I pee-d in my pants! Dude, once again I was so mortified, I wanted to go home! But because we were supposed to go out to dinner, Ed lent me some elastic band shorts in the brightest orange I've ever seen! I think it was Abercrombie or something, but it was all he had to accommodate my big belly. So we went out like that. I looked like a freak! Aric was away that whole week for his Business School Residential, so when I told him over the phone AND after he laughed his ass off, he was all trying to make me feel better by saying, "don't worry...it happens." Yeah, but to me, it's happened TWICE! *shake head* What next?!
back to journals